Saturday, May 21, 2011

Less than an hour, 3 Card-kit Cards

Happy Day!!!  or should I say Happy Long, Fun-filled Day?!?!?

We woke up, got ready and left for a day at the zoo, fully stocked for a picnic lunch, per the request of my 3-year old.  On our way out of the neighborhood, some neighbors who were moving were having a garage sale.  We scored two of those storage shelf units that kids keep toys in (the kind w/plastic bins that sit on an angle on wooden rod-style shelves) and a playskool picnic table.  Total cost $17.

So off we drove in the drizzle to the zoo.  Of course we had to make a pit stop at the local Caribou Coffee to get our BOGO offer they're running all weekend (click here for the coupon).  So while sipping on an iced turtle mocha, we spent several hours at Brookfield with our friends A&S.  Alex fed sting rays and spent 45+ minutes "petting" them as they swam by.  Jacob had a ball being strolled around non-stop.  We listened to some 60's and 70's rock bands and seen a raccoon take her babies from one nest to a new one somewhere up a tree, across the roof of a building and off into the rocky distance.  The weather was great - some slight drizzle, but nothing cold or too wet.  As a result, it wasn't very busy and we were able to see everything we planned for the day without waiting, pushing, shoving or elbowing (not that we normally do any of those things LOL)

It wasn't until 5pm that we made it home.  There were some mulch men delivering to our neighbors around the corner.  The stopped by, per our request, and quoted us $40/yard for their premium enhanced color blah blah blah mulch.  Adolfo haggled them down to $32 & change... a few minutes later our driveway had a large pile of mulch dumped on it.  Ah, but before the mulch can go in, Adolfo needs to fix the pond - the liner has a hole and we've decided to replace it with a drop-in pond.  That means digging a new shape.  So... out come the gloves and shovels.  I start pulling weeds, he starts digging.  Alex is playing with rocks and dirt and Jacob is in his walker having a long discussion with a stationary toy.  Next thing you know, it's time for Adolfo to take Alex to his preschool's movie night event.  Bye bye boys.  It's my time.

After cleaning the house up a bit (though I never seem to finish!), I found about 45 minutes to make three cards from a Memory Keeping Collection card kit I was given.  I made three that were examples in the instruction manual - one for a graduation, one for a friend who just had a baby, and one for my Aunt who sent me a Cricut cartridge and the boys a Spanish/English story book.  Here's how they turned out:


The baby one has some white rub-ons which I really liked.  My favorite part are the epoxy animal stickers.  They are sooo cute.  I used foam squares to affix the three square paper/card stock pieces (not quite thick like card stock, but not thin like paper).  I love to have different levels of paper on the things I do... so this little touch made a big difference for me.



See - aren't those just the cutest little animals ever???  (the answer is "yes"! *wink*wink*)

Next up was a quick HS graduation card.  It's made using the chipboard pieces in the kit and a brad.


Last is the thank you card I made for my Aunt.  I chose the design I thought she would like best.  It has a layered fabric flower, large rhinestone/gem, some chipboard and a ribbon.  The manufacturer, Memory Keeping Collection, suggests hanging a message chipboard piece from the ribbon "leaves", but the message wasn't in line with the thanks.  Instead, I used one of the "Thanks" rub-ons on the inside and left the front as-is.


I think in the future I will not use the main card piece as the card itself for some of the projects... I like several of the patterns (stripes, green dots, etc) so I think I will instead cut them in half and layer the pattern onto another card stock base so I can get two cards out of one background.  Make sense?  It does in my head :).  I'm stretching that dollar sweetheart.  It's the scrapper's way of life. lol

So now the boys are home, snoring peacefully.  Fast and Furious #1017 is playing still - the hubby fell asleep too soon to see even the middle of the movie.  And I'm going to take these darn contacts out and call it a day.  Tomorrow is Sunday and we have a whole new list of things to do then.  I'm hoping your weekend is going as fun as ours... but perhaps a little more relaxing.  Either way, ENJOY! :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments: