Monday, June 13, 2011

Posole/Pozole... Can anyone spell it right?!?!

Apparently I can't. At least in my latest Facebook update I wrote posole. And if you believe everything Wikipedia tells you, it is spelled with a "z". I've had conflicting info passed onto me by real live Mexican people who say it is the "s". You just can't trust anyone or anything anymore, can ya? Dang spanish, gets me everytime!

Well, with the FB post, I had a few peeps ask me for my recipe. I'm going to give you the recipe for my red version which uses pork. It is tasty! My great big 8quart stockpot was full this morning (minus my bowl I had when it was finished cooking a little after midnight this morning). I just ate the last bowl after my Zumba class. I think my count is around 7 bowls total. Hubby pigged out on it too. Even my 3 year old ate 2 bowls - then he asked me to make it again. Love it! Well enough blabbing and on with the show! Enjoy!

Posole the JeNiFu way :) (hey, that's me!)

Ingredients...


For the pork
v 2lb pork shoulder & neck bones (I like to add in a package of pork ribs for more meat!)
v 1 tbsp salt
v 1 tbsp Freshly ground pepper
v 1 tbsp ground cumin
v 1 tbsp dried oregano

For the soup
v 1 Extra-Large can of hominy (think food-service large).  Otherwise, 2 of the large (32-oz?) cans will do. I LOVE hominy so I put as much in as my pot will handle.
v 2 bay leaves
v 1 medium onion, finely chopped
v 3 tbsp bouillon or more to taste

For the pepper paste
v 20 good-sized Chile Guajillo (bag of dried chile peppers - look in the Mexican aisle or go to a Mexican grocer)... take the stems and seeds out.  You can add more chiles or keep some seeds if you want it spicier.
v 2 small onions
v 5 garlic cloves or 2 heaping tbsp of jarred chopped garlic
v salt & pepper to taste

Normal Garnishes
v ½ head of cabbage, finely sliced
v Limes, cut into wedges
v Tostadas or tostada chips
v Oregano

Optional Garnishes
v Chopped cilantro
v Sliced Raddishes
v Corn tortillas, warmed in the oven

Directions
  1. Mix the salt, pepper, cumin and oregano in a bowl.  Generously rub spices onto the pork.  If you are using more meat, you may need to double or triple your spice rub.  In my world, the more the merrier!  In a hot stockpot or heavy saucepan, sear the outside of the pork on medium-high to high heat in batches, be careful not to crowd your pot.  This step is the most time consuming with effort, so once you've accomplished wonderfully seared meat, it's all easy peasy from here on!  As the pork pieces finish searing, remove them from the pot and put them in a large bowl.  When the last batch of pork is seared, return all of them to the pot.
  2. Add the liquid from the canned hominy along with the bay leaves, bouillon and enough water to cover the meat about an inch or two. Bring the soup to a boil while moving onto step 3.
  3. Blend all ingredients for the pepper paste until a paste is formed.  Add or subtract each ingredient until the desired taste is achieved and use the soup broth to maintain the pasty consistancy.  TASTE THE PASTE!!!  It should have a spicy zing to it.  Sometimes it needs a little salt or bouillon.  Go with your gut (and your taste buds).  It probably won't taste "good", but imagine the flavor in the broth.  In regards to consistency, it's ok if yours ends up more watery than paste - you just have to adjust the flavor as necessary.  You want it to be somewhat like jarred chopped garlic. Well, sorta.  You get it, right?
  4. Add the finely chopped onion and as much pepper paste as desired to the soup (start with ½ the batch made).  TASTE THE SOUP!!!  This is how you will know if the pepper paste is sufficient, if you need more, or if you need to add more bouillon or salt.  Keep in mind that the flavors will cook together for 2 hours, so you want it to be good (yet thin & watery) now so it can be fabulously delicious later!  
  5. Once the soup is boiling, skim off any fat that comes to the top and reduce the heat. Cover and cook the soup on low (simmer) for 1 hour.  (NOTE: Keep the extra paste for serving in case someone wants more “zing” to their soup. This helps keep the soup tasty for those with a weak spice pallet but feisty for those who like it to sting.)
  6. Finely slice the cabbage super-duper paper thin and soak in a bath of salt water for at least 30 minutes.  Heck, you may as well leave it in there the full hour or so.  It won't hurt it any!  When you're ready, drain the cabbage and use a salad spinner to remove the access water.  Set aside for garnish.
  7. Add the hominy to the soup, turn the heat up a little and cook uncovered at moderately low heat until the pork is tender and the liquid has thickened, about 50 minutes or so.
  8. Prepare the garnishes you wan to use.  Traditionally, the pozole is served topped with a small handful of cabbage and a sprinkle of oregano.  Lime wedges and tostadas (or tostada chips) are served on the side.  Don't forget to bring out that extra pepper sauce.  It's also a good idea to have a dish for discarded bones available, too.  If you're super nice, you can always take the meat out, shred it off the bone, and put the meat back into the soup.  This meal is HANDS ON in my house, so I don't bother :) 
So if you get around to trying this and have any comments, please let me know how things turned out!  I'm always happy to hear other people's success (or lack-thereof) stories from my recipes.  (Although I haven't had too many people lack success LOL)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My pozole comes out to dark and with a weak taste, what can I do to get that lightly, not to dark color and the taste of pozole? please help!