Saturday, March 12, 2011

Starbucks Cake Pop Review - My first review!

As I traded my in-law a ride to work for a venti Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha (non-fat with whip!) from Starbucks, I came face-to-face with their new Cake Pops.  Priced at $1.50 for one or $2.50 for two, I opted to save my 50-cents and try two of the three flavors today: Rocky Road & Tiramisu



The size of the cake pop is generous.  Much better than other pops I've had.  

First up was the Rocky Road.
Described on Starbucks.com as "Chocolate cake and icing dipped in a dark chocolaty coating, with mini marshmallows and roasted almonds" these pops are 180 calories each.  My initial reaction was that my pop looked nothing like the advertised product:

My Rocky Road Cake Pop
Advertised Rocky Road cake pop via blogs.riverfronttimes.com

First bite, the dark chocolaty coating is crisp and rich.  I like.  I wish my pop had more marshmallows and nuts though.  


The cake is moist and has nuts and marshmallows inside.  I'm happy again.
It is sweet, but not overwhelming.  Moist, but not too moist.  It is rich though - I have to get a cup of milk to down it with.  I'm impressed by the taste and how satisfying this single pop is.

Next up, the 170 calorie Tiramisu.  It looks classy, featuring a chocolate coffee bean topper.
Starbucks.com describes this one as "Vanilla cake and Starbucks® coffee with vanilla icing, dipped in mocha flavored chocolaty coating, with a chocolate coffee bean."


via blogs.riverfronttimes.com

Wow - they look like the advertised ones!  I took my first bite.


Just the shell cracks off.  It is crispy, with a chocolate undertone.  I'm impressed.  The flavor is very good - I am almost prone to say I like it better than the previous shell.
Let's get into the cake...



Extremely moist.  I actually think they are too moist.  As I eat more of the cake pop, I find that the sweetness of this one is too much for me (and I generally like sweet).  I also don't care for the extreme moistness because it is sticking to my back teeth and I find myself trying to scrape the cake mix off my teeth with my tongue.  

Overall, the presentation of the Tiramisu wins, hands down.
If I were to buy one of these again, I would most likely buy the Rocky Road although I really enjoy the flavor of the Tiramisu coating and the chocolate bean topper.  I also wouldn't order two next time - they are so sweet that I now have a sugar headache. :)

There is a third cake pop - birthday cake - that I may try in the future.
I think I may want to try some of those other goodies first though.  

Amazingly, I haven't even taken a sip of my coffee.
Don't worry - I'll be sure not to waste it! :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments: