Friday, January 28, 2011

Life in a Bag Speech Reflection

My first presentation for my speech class was about a topic I know quite a bit about - me.  Going into the speech, I was confident in my topic knowledge, but nervous about going over the allotted time.  Each time I rehearsed my speech, I was at the upper-half of the five to six minute time limit allowed.  Even after cutting content and anecdotes out, I was still pushing the limit.  As a result, I felt as though I was speaking a little faster than I would have normally.  After finishing my speech (within the allowed time!) I asked my teacher if she felt I spoke fast; luckily, she felt the speed was good.  I mentally sighed in relief.

One thing I can not stand when listening to people speak formally is the use of "UM".  Having been through a presentation-heavy undergraduate B.A. Marketing program, I've been trained to count other people's "UMs".  What I failed to do is control mine.  For my next speech, I'm going to really work on getting the sound out of my vocabulary.  I wish I could rewind the clock and count my own UMs.  I wonder how many I said and how annoying it was to listen to.

Overall, preparation for the speech was both hard and easy.  First, it was difficult because I couldn't decide what aspects of my life I should discuss.  Once I chose a few major points, it was easy.  I spoke of my educational and professional backgrounds, children, scrapbooking and cooking.  All topics I easily elaborated on once chosen.

The next speech is an Informative Speech.  I've chosen to talk about the benefits of breastfeeding.  I don't intend on making it come across as being persuasive and need to make sure I am presenting facts without pushing pro-breastfeeding.  However, I do think that the topic itself and the benefits I want to present may end up making people think about the subject on a personal level, thereby seeming persuasive. My other concern is the allowed time.  This topic has so many good points and reliable resources that it may be challenging to choose the most important ones to present without running over (and loosing points).  With a little hard work, careful deliberation, and practice, I'm sure I'll do fine in the end!

No comments: