Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Home is where your family is...

So I had a revelation on Sunday that I'd like to share now.  The boys were both napping and DH and I, for the first time in a long time, were simply hanging out watching tv.  In my mind, I was recapping some of the things I've learned these first few weeks of DH's new project.

We are renting an extension of this bed and breakfast
- the inn part, if you will - on this corner home in the historical downtown neighborhood of the suburb of Stuart, just outside of West Palm Beach.  It's a quaint neighborhood three blocks from a large park and about five blocks from the downtown area.  There is where you can find the farmer's market, shopping, dining and the pier.  Within 10 minutes, you can drive to just about anything you need - grocers, more restaurants, entertainment, beaches, Hutchinson Island, etc.  

My elder son calls this place "our home" - it's where we sleep, eat, watch tv, hang out.  It really is our home base.  Perhaps it feels this way because we are not cooped up in a hotel with cold fixtures and unwelcoming hallways.  He is so cute when he says, "Mom, let's go home" and refers to here. 

Our official personal space is small.  We have a kitchen with a dinette, one bedroom and one bath.  The main house has a full kitchen, laundry, living room, dining room, etc. for everyone to use (though not many people do).  It has everything a renovated 1913's bed and breakfast would have.  The fact that we function completely fine in a space a fraction of our real home's really sets in the fact that it isn't about the square footage or how much stuff we have.  We're all very happy as long as we are with each other.

The only thing this tropical place is missing is our family and friends.  As I told DH, I now know we can live anywhere and be completely fine... it would just be lonely without our F&Fs.  He said we'd make new friends and family.  OOPS!  He laughed - he meant we'd make new friends; we can't really make too much new family LOL.  I understood what he meant.  Ultimately, he agreed - the only thing that holds us where we are is the F&F.

I also realized that, although it is great to have 90+ degree weather in late September, I also miss sweaters, crisp air and the need to have hot cider.  Hot cider here?  I think not!  Bon fire?  In your dreams.  It's iced lattes, ice cream, iced water... well, you get the point.  A few days before we left for here, I made a large pot of posole.  It was great to wake up to a cool morning and eat a large bowl of it.  I'm looking forward to this and making some chili when I'm back home.  

Let's see if I'm still saying this once we land in ORD.  I may be screaming, "Take me back to Florida!"  LOL  I guess we'll see soon enough!